Introduction and confessions of a teenage drama queen




This photo was many years ago when I was younger and skinnier...

My name is Kevin but you can definitely call me Kev. I have a weird relationship with my name. I definitely appreciate it as I was named after my grandad but also I have to deal with being shouted at 365 days of the year with the many Home Alone fanatics that even after 30 years like to remind me of the popular scene when Kevin McCallister's family left him at home while they were jetting off for the holidays. I have never blogged before and this is all a very new experience so I feel like I'm just going to go with the flow and see where this takes me. Im sure there will be many times that I'll be waffling on an absolutely tangent and will forget where the point I was trying to make is (kind of like now) but I suppose with time I'll get used to this. The absolute fear I get from writing down thoughts and feelings. Maybe its to do with my age? Which brings me on to my next part. I am 29 years old and a Gemini baby. I feel I am the epitome of a Gemini and I also feel these are the ultimate star sign and superior to the others (watch out Leo). I've always been super proud to tell people I'm a Gemini. I had to laugh on the first day of college a discussion about star signs was created and the absolute hatred that Gemini was getting and even then I was like 'Gemini and proud'. Being a mature student and deciding to go back to college was definitely a choice... one that I'm currently happy with even though stress levels can be a little high at times. This was something I always wanted to do and I knew it would have always been that thing in the back of mind that I should have done and the what if' would have tormented me for the next 40 years.

Real basic info about me that I don't think people will really care about is I am a mature student in TU Dublin doing CDM and so far so good... I have absolutely no hobbies (I think?). I am a fully trained hairdresser and I have been with the same guy for 9 years which is kind of impressive. Here we are 6 years ago in Switzerland on New Years Eve when it was absolutely freezing.


Going into this course I didn't really know what to expect. I was living in Toronto when I applied for it so I didn't even get to go to an open day and had to base my judgements on things I was reading about the course and the odd youtube video they uploaded about work the students did. I think the biggest surprise was I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I knew I wanted to get into some type of Graphic design thing. Little did I know I would really enjoy web development and think that this could be a possible career going forward. Design was my favourite subject last year and I was delighted when I did well in it. I feel I put a lot into my projects especially for that module and it was great to see the hard work pay off come results time. I don't think the information about this course online etc. does it justice. As well I know a few people in the class there isn't a strong animation side to it *something they thought there would be coming into it). 


One of the best things to come from the year wasn't to do with academia at all but instead I became a dog dad. One thing I would tell people now is DO NOT GET A PUPPY. My little terror... I mean Terrier came to us in may 2021. Her name is Scout and she definitely keeps me on my toes. It is way harder than I thought it was going to be to have a dog. The constant walking and need for attention. It was like having another version of myself in the house. At least if you gave me a treat I would shut up for awhile. In all honesty though she has been the best thing about this year and as hyper as she is she loves absolutely everyone and is the main character at the dog park. Ive never met so many neighbours before and the constant stopping on the street to tell me how gorgeous she is will always makes me smile.



Scout having her first Puppachino 


Thats kind of a very basic introduction to myself. I feel when I get a bit better at this blogging I'll revisit and add more or the total fear I have for this will take over and it will be deleted come 6 o clock. I'll try and push through that though for the grade. I'll end this post with a quick Vogue inspired 73 questions (25 questions).



What is my favourite...
  1. Colour - Green
  2. Song - Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac
  3. Takeaway - Indian 
  4. Drink - Lemon, Guinness & Jameson coke
  5. Television - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  6. Movies - Cruel Intentions
  7. Music - Fleetwood Mac & Carly Rae Jepsen
  8. Sports - Next question
  9. Adidas or Nike - Adidas
  10. Mcdonalds or KFC - Mcdonalds
  11.  Ice cream flavor? Mint Chocolate chip
  12. Chocolate bar? KitKat Chunky or crunchie
  13. Flavour Starburst? Green
  14. Way to cook a steak - Veggie baby
  15. Pasta dish? - Arrabiata
  16. Breakfast food? Avacado & poached eggs
  17. Pizza toppings? Pineapple 
  18. Fruit? Blueberries
  19. Vegetable? Sweet Potato
  20. Dessert? Sticky Toffee Pudding
  21. Cake? Cheesecake
  22. Drink at Starbucks? White Mocha 
  23. Favorite flavor coffee? Vanilla
  24. American State you’ve visited? LA
  25. City you want to visit? Lisbon


Comments

  1. Heyyy Kevin,

    I'm a big fan of the Home Alone movies so I'm definitely going to be annoying you all of December with your name.
    Gemini twinsss, 100% why we get along so well!
    I'm glad you decided to come back to college because you make the experience that more enjoyable by just being you!
    Scout is the cutest thing ever!!
    Fleetwood Mac are a superior band and their music is unreal.
    I'm quite partial to an Indian myself sometimes.
    Mint Choc Chip is the best ice-cream flavour out there, but a lot of people misjudge it because its minty.
    It's a crime you eat pineapple on pizza :(

    Loved your blog Kev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin,

    I love that you are a proud Gemini! such a gemini thing.. (I also love star sings). 9 years!! you give me hope hahaha. Your dog is so cute! I also got a puppy quite recently and can agree that they are a torment when they're small but so cute. Cruel intentions is one of my fave movies!! and so underrated as well. Also I am a big avocado fan. Can't wait to get to know you more this year and love the blog!

    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kev,
    Loving your blog! The Leo slander, not so much. Love the picture from Switzerland. Didn't know you used to have your nose pierced, you should put a hoop in again :)) I agree the course info doesn't do it justice on TUD website. Scout is so cute! Mint chocolate ice cream !? REALLY ?? And pineapple on pizza ?!? no no no. I think I can just about get past the awful taste of foods because the green starbursts are in fact elite, looking forward to working with you this year.
    Philippa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kevin really like the intro post,
    Haven't any idea about star signs there personality's and which ones work well with others. Think I'm a Scorpio and that's really it haha. Scout is so cute would love to get a dog at some point. Pineapple on pizza bit of a controversial topic but depends who you ask. Really looking forward to seeing the work you create over the year.
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kev, love your intro, Geminis are definitely one of the more superior signs, Cancers are also up there too (I'm mostly a Cancer on my own chart). I haaate home alone - sorry not sorry but its not great. You made a great decision to go back to college and do something you have interest in, no matter what stage you are in in life! I also love Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks is a queen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kevin!
    It’s so nice to read more about you. I was so lucky to be in one group with you and working with you is such a pleasure. Love your attitude toward studies and I always feel like if I am stuck with some module you will always find how to help me. :)
    Your dog is soo cute! I love dogs and I know they are hard work, but like you said, they help to know neighbours and other people around :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kevin, This was great to read, I remember you being so over Home Alone last year when everyone kept sending in the "KEVIN" Gifs into our group chat hahaha I don't think you will ever be free from that. Its really cool that you're a qualified hairdresser , be sure to give us loads of hair tips. I've always wanted to move to Canada just cant quite seem to actually find the motivation to move there so its great to know you've experienced living there. 9 years in relationship round of applause for your partner hahaha I'm joking. Finally another person who loves mint chocolate ice cream, I feel like us mint choccy people always get attacked for loving it lol. Scout looks absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kevin I really like this post on your blog. I am the same as you where I have never used a blog prior to entering this course. It is very cool how are you are fully trained hairdresser as my mam is also a hairdresser. As for music I also really like Carly Rae Jepsen. I also love sweet potatoes as well especially when they're cut into chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it I Kevin here to comment on one glorious blog of one glorious man

    I hope your drink choice isn't to mix lemon, Guinness, Jameson and Coke and the pineapple thing with the pizza... ew. Don't worry I can work with this and if it doesn't I'll give you a treat and see if that shuts you up. I loved being in Group 1 with you last year and I can't wait to see what you do next

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Kev,
    I liked the reference to your name about "Home Alone" sounds tiring to keep hearing this meme.
    and thank you for the feedback i just went back to fix the things I rushed through my introduction.
    I like the dog her name "Scout", little dogs scare me more especially Chihuahuas, yeah but I like the picture of the dog really cute, honestly I didn't know I would make it this far with understanding graphic design, But starting to understand more about the course and with developing was really scary to me at first because I don't really like sitting at staring at my screen you know the stereotypical coding and programming are for nerds but it's not as complicated as I thought it would be. I didn't know I would have a chance of using a camera.
    My Grandparents live in Canada as well in Toronto. it's good that you've enjoyed web development as not a lot of people joined it before. That was funny how you were so far away from Ireland and Applied to the course. I believe a hairdresser is a hobby in my opinion, I used to like styling people’s hair. My mom would get angry at me when I take off my braid and redo it. I hate Pineapple pizza nooo...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Keven, it's Chris
    This is a nice introduction to you, I have also never blogged before and it was a source of anxiety for me but I was able to get over it.
    I do find star signs interesting, but I can never remember what each one means. I believe I'm a Leo, I was born on the 27th of August.
    Choosing to go to college as a mature student is a choice, but it's always better to try then to wonder what could have been
    Being a hairdresser is always a nice skill, it's not something I'd have the patience for and I'd be afraid of ruining someone's hair, also I am absolutely terrible at identifying people in a relationship if that don't say that they are boyfriend/girlfriend, so I am not actually sure if you mean you are in a relationship or you are just friends.
    I really like your dog, I have a dog too, who is about 14 years old and he had helped me through some of my darker days
    Glad I got to know you better and I'll see you around

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Kevin,
    To be honest when you were talking about your name that whole time I was thinking about Home Alone 💀 I never heard of Gemini hatred damn ignore the haters. YOU LIVED IN TORONTO?! Thats so cool I am planning to visit that place. Scout is the main star of this blog she is super cute and I hope she really enjoyed her Puppachino.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts