Game Brainstorm


This was an interesting assignment as it ended up being way harder than I initially thought. Coming up with four games was difficult as right now I still am unsure of the scope of a game we are going to make. As well, my fixed mindset was yelling at me that the game must be on the same level as the ones I am currently playing when in reality it will be far more basic. Looking into current games these are some of the ones that stood out to me and have potential to go further with and develop myself.


1. A 3D endless running game. These games interest me because I feel the fact that mobile gaming has become so huge these games have exploded and are continuously up there in the top games to play for free or buy on an app store. There are so many different types of endless running games from the MinionsSonic to Temple Run. All have the same Idea that your character will run through an online world and collect some type of tokens. I feel this is interesting because even though all these games are very similar with different obstacles, vehicles and mechanics they become unique and reach particular audiences if you want them too. I feel like Temple Run was one of the original Apple app games to get really huge and have a massive following. My current idea for a similar game would be a running game but your character collects beers and its harder to control them the drunker they get, but if they have water it sobers them up. As well, I was thinking of a running game and you run through mirrors and when you do the mirror changes the colours of the scenery making it harder or easier or even can change the direction you are running. My current problem is I don't know the level of game we are going to create but these are some basic ideas I currently have.

2. A shooter or first person shooter game. These games have always interested me. When when I was younger playing Time Crisis in the arcade to growing up with Time Splitters which was the original insane over the top shooter game, and now Fortnite. These shooting games have always been fun with the different array of characters to choose from to colourful scenery and the manic types of guns you can use. I always enjoyed the rockets challenge in these types of games. For a game like this I think I would want to make it as off the wall and crazy as I could. Instead of guns to shoot with I think it would be more interesting to have water guns or even water balloons, so it is a spin on the normal shooter game. A game that instead of guns you just through grenades or drop land bombs could also be interesting as it is a bit different to the iconic shooting games that came before it. 

3. An escape room game. I always loved these escape room games for the mental stimulation you get from trying to solve clues to escape the room. Pair that with a slight horror aspect and I think it makes for a really interesting game that keeps you on your toes. There are hundreds of different escape room apps and games to choose from but like the endless running game you can create a scene with different obstacles to make the story and game unique to your target audience. The Slenderman game was a huge success for a game that didn't over complicate things. It spanned a movie and documentary from a game about a character escaping a forest and running from this tall slender figure. 

4. A Racing game. My final idea is a racing game. Racing games are interesting as you can customise cars and vehicles and give them different attributes and then see which one wins. Also there are many different types of racing games like cars, bikes and snowboarding etc. I was thinking of doing something unusual like a rollercoaster racing game. It's not a game that is already huge. I think the bright colours of rollercoasters and unusual method of being on a customisable track would make for an interesting game. The scenery could be fun, playful and engaging with your own avatar that sits in the front of the rollercoaster. Looking into this further I came across a game called 'Roller Coaster Racing 3D', but could nor find any videos to show the style of racing in it.

These are all initial ideas about the type of game I want to create. When I imagine these games I picture them as games on the mobile phone. I feel like as they will be on the more basic side and the mobile gaming platform will enhance the game. Theres so many different routes I could take with these games and the reading on the 'scamper' method of game development could help improve on some of the basic ideas and make them a little more unusual and fun. I think with feedback and a little more time on unity I will be able to develop a really interesting and fun game that can be influenced by the games mentioned above but have its own signature styling and unique feeling to it.


Image Bibliography:


All links to Youtube videos for games are not owned by me.


Comments

  1. Hey Kevin,

    I'm so happy I found someone who played Time Crisis! I used to play it religiously on the PS2 back in the day, you had to drag me away from the controllers, I never wanted to stop playing.
    I really like where you're going with all of your ideas, they're all different which I think is great, it doesn't lead you down the same road for each idea. I'm sure whatever game you choose to make will be amazing and I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts